Tuesday, May 19, 2020

The Price of Loyalty

Scripture:

“And Uriah said to David, “The ark and Israel and Judah are dwelling in tents, and my lord Joab and the servants of my lord are encamped in the open fields. Shall I then go to my house to eat and drink, and to lie with my wife? As you live, and as your soul lives, I will not do this thing.””
‭‭II Samuel‬ ‭11:11‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Observation:

David had slept with Uriah’s wife and she was pregnant with his baby while her husband was on the battlefield fighting for King David and Israel.  David brought Uriah home, wanting him to go to his house and sleep with his wife so the child would seem to be his.  Uriah was loyal to the throne and to his people.  He refused to go home and sleep with is wife or have the pleasures of home while his men were on the battlefield.  He ended up being killed in battle at the command of David the king.

Application:

Loyalty can be incredibly costly.  It costed Uriah his life.  Loyalty says, I want to do the honorable thing at all times.  Our loyalty is to the Lord first and foremost.  When we volunteer to serve in His army, we lay down our rights and determine to be obedient to Him.  Loyalty is also to those we serve.  We can learn from Uriah that it is not right for us to take advantage of those around us when others are not able to.  Leadership doesn’t take advantage of others while living in privilege and perks.  It refuses to be blessed until the whole team can be blessed.

Prayer:

Father, teach me to lead well and not to take advantage of the perks while my people are in battle.  Help me to walk in strong loyalty to You first and to those I serve.  Show me how to serve others well and not take advantage of title or position.  Give me the heart of a servant leader.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment