Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Gifts Without Love

Scripture:

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.”
‭‭I Corinthians‬ ‭13:1‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Observation:

Paul is speaking to the Corinthian people about spiritual gifts.  As he enters this section of his letter, he tells them that speaking in tongues and walking in gifts without having love make you like a sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.  In other words, a cymbal makes a big noise, but it goes away quickly.  Later in this chapter he says that love never fails.  Love, according to Paul, is what makes the gifts function powerfully.

Application:

Loving God and loving people is the heart of the Gospel.  We are to be a people who have God’s love in our hearts and who truly want to see people set free, delivered, and changed.  Our gifts should flow from a place of love.  Our lives should be lived with love as something that is most important.  Speaking in tongues and prophesying are empowered by a heart of love.  If love isn’t there, we are just making noise.  Love needs to be the backbone of our lives.

Prayer:

Father, let me walk in Your love.  Show me who needs Your love today.  Guide me to those who need to feel Your love.  Demonstrate Your love through me today.  I want to love people like Christ loves them.  Put Your love in my heart for people and let me feel what You feel for them.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment