Thursday, May 21, 2020

Mercy

Scripture:

“Therefore the king said to Shimei, “You shall not die.” And the king swore to him.”
‭‭II Samuel‬ ‭19:23‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Observation:

When David was coming back to Judah after the death of Absalom, people didn’t know how the king would respond since they were ready to replace him quickly after he left.  Shimei came directly to the king, acknowledged what he did wrong, and asked the king to forgive him.  King David’s men wanted to have Shimei killed for treason, but King David told him, “you shall not die.”  David had mercy on people throughout his life who had turned on him.

Application:

Scripture tells us that David was a man after God’s own heart.  David had a heart of mercy, which is exactly what our God has.  God is merciful and never gives us what we deserve.  I know I have failed to live up to God’s expectations so many times, but God’s mercy and grace continue to work with me, even when I have messed things up for Him.  I want to live a life a mercy and have mercy on those who have been against me.  I want to live more like Jesus every day.

Prayer:

Father, teach me to show mercy to those who rise up against me.  Help me to walk in mercy and grace as You do.  Let my life reflect Your mercy to those around me.  Guide me today and show me what You want me to do.  Speak Lord, your servant is listening.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment