Friday, August 30, 2024

A Thief in the Night

 Scripture:

“For you know quite well that the day of the Lord’s return will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night. When people are saying, “Everything is peaceful and secure,” then disaster will fall on them as suddenly as a pregnant woman’s labor pains begin. And there will be no escape.” ‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5‬:‭2‬-‭3‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Observation:

Paul is writing here concerning the coming of Jesus Christ. The New Testament Church was continually expecting the imminent return of Jesus to the earth. When He went away, he said, “As you see me go, I will return again,” They lived their lives expecting the Lord’s return at any moment. It has now been over 2,000 years and His coming is closer than ever. They lived with an urgency and we must do the same.

Application:

When everything looks peaceful and secure, we need to keep our heads up and our eyes open. We are expecting the soon return of Christ to this earth. The signs of the times are everywhere right now. Coming like a thief in the night reminds me to be ready at all times and to live on mission for Him at all times. Seeing all the signs around us, we must live our lives with an urgency like never before. We must get people ready for our Lord’s coming. 

Prayer:

Father, let me have a fresh sense of urgency in my preaching and in my life. Help me to remain focused on bringing people into Your kingdom and helping them be ready when the thief comes in the night and it’s too late. Help me to work while it is day because the night is coming when we won’t be able to build Your kingdom any more. I want to extend Your kingdom in all the earth while I wait for Your return.

Yours, 

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment