Monday, June 29, 2020

The Saddest Tombstone

Scripture:

“He was thirty-two years old when he became king. He reigned in Jerusalem eight years and, to no one’s sorrow, departed. However they buried him in the City of David, but not in the tombs of the kings.”
‭‭II Chronicles‬ ‭21:20‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Observation:

Jehoram was an evil king.  He did evil in the sight of the LORD.  He killed all of his brothers and the princes who could threaten to take over his kingdom.  He led Judah away from the things of God and served other gods.  At the end of his life, the writer added this simple phrase that spoke to me this morning, “to no one’s sorrow.”  Apparently nobody was sorrowful at the death of Jehoram.

Application:

I believe this passage reveals the saddest tombstone ever written.  If nobody is sorrowful because of your death, you didn’t live a very good life.  This passage spoke to me about what I want to see at my funeral.  I want to live a life that will make people miss me when I’m gone.  I want to live a life that be missed on the planet because of the good I have done for those around me and for those who I will never meet.  I don’t want to live a life to myself where nobody will know be sorrowful at my funeral, but a life of impact that helps as many as possible.

Prayer:

LORD, help me keep my focus on loving You and loving others.  Let my life be impactful for Your kingdom and let me help others every day.  Let my life be a blessing to those around me and to those I will never meet here on this earth.  Help me to number my days and use them well to be a blessing.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment