Sunday, June 28, 2020

Rely on the LORD

Scripture:

“And at that time Hanani the seer came to Asa king of Judah, and said to him: “Because you have relied on the king of Syria, and have not relied on the LORD your God, therefore the army of the king of Syria has escaped from your hand.”
‭‭II Chronicles‬ ‭16:7‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
“For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him. In this you have done foolishly; therefore from now on you shall have wars.””
‭‭II Chronicles‬ ‭16:9‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Observation:

Asa had been an awesome king who had done right in the eyes of the LORD.  In this one instance, he relied on people instead of on the LORD, to accomplish something.  He made a treaty with the king of Syria instead of allow the LORD to defend him.  The second verse tells us that God’s eyes are looking through the whole world to show himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.  It closes by saying that Asa had wars from that point onward.  He had enjoyed incredible peace when he trusted the LORD above people, but once he leaned on man, he had battles the rest of his rulership.

Application:

God is a jealous God.  He wants us to rely on Him and look to Him instead of leaning on our own understanding and doing what seems good to men.  Making an alliance with the Syrians seemed like a good thing to do, but it wasn’t a God thing to do.  I want to do God things and not good things.  I want God to show Himself strong on my behalf.  Therefore I must learnt o trust Him and not my own ways of thinking. 

Prayer:

Father, teach me to trust You more and more and lean less on the opinions of man.  Help me to lead well and accomplish Your will instead of my own.  Help me to never lean on people when You want me to lean on You.  Teach me to when to use the wisdom You gave me and when to wait for a word from the LORD. Help me to lead Your people well.

Yours Forever,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment