Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Vows

 Scripture:

““This is the ritual law of the Nazirites, who vow to bring these offerings to the Lord. They may also bring additional offerings if they can afford it. And they must be careful to do whatever they vowed when they set themselves apart as Nazirites.””  ‭‭Numbers‬ ‭6‬:‭21‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Observation:

Those who wanted to make a Nazarite vow for a period of time were told here that whatever they vow before God they needed to fulfill. They would go through a time where they couldn’t cut their hair, they couldn’t eat or drink anything from the vine, etc. They were set apart for a season to seek the Lord. They had to do whatever they vowed before the Lord.

Application:

Jesus told us in the Sermon on the Mount, that we shouldn’t make vows, but rather let our yes be yes and our no be no. The bottom line is that God doesn’t want us to make vows that we can’t fulfill. He takes very seriously any vow we make. Rather than make promises I can’t and probably won’t keep, it is better to simply do what I say I’m going to do.

Prayer:

God Almighty, give me the strength to do what I say I’m going to do. Let my life be an example of simple obedience to the Lord. Help me not to make promises I can’t keep. Help me to be a man of my word. I want to represent You well and I ask You to help me in this area. Help me to fulfill what I say and live what I preach in Jesus name.

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment