Wednesday, July 28, 2021

When God Rebukes You

 Scripture:

““I am unworthy—how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth.”  ‭‭Job‬ ‭40:4‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Observation:

Job had defended himself and his righteousness before God and his friends.  He was confident in his own righteousness and proud of his virtue, but when he laid that all out to God, God was not impressed.  After many chapters of Job’s friends speaking up, God spoke up and asked Job many questions like “Where were you when…?”  God was saying, “Who do you think you are?”  Job finally responded correctly when rebuked by God…”I am unworthy - how can I reply to you?  I put my hand over my mouth.”

Application:

When God rebukes you, don’t even try to defend yourself.  Simply say, “I am unworthy - how can I reply to You? I put my hand over my mouth.”  In other words, I’m not going to try to defend myself.  I messed up and I submit to whatever You ask of me.  When God convicts us, our response is repentance and change.  When God rebukes us, we must change.  Change is the only response when God speaks.  Humility is the greatest response to God.  He lifts up the humble and tears down the prideful.  Don’t argue with God, simply submit.

Prayer:

Father, help me to simply submit and not to argue with You or Your logic in my life.  Help me to respond right when You correct me.  Let me live a life of humility before You.  Show me the areas of my life I need to change and help me to change.

Yours,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment