Thursday, May 20, 2021

Let Him Curse

 Scripture:

“David then said to Abishai and all his officials, “My son, my own flesh and blood, is trying to kill me. How much more, then, this Benjamite! Leave him alone; let him curse, for the Lord has told him to. It may be that the Lord will look upon my misery and restore to me his covenant blessing instead of his curse today.””  ‭‭2 Samuel‬ ‭16:11-12‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Observation:

As David was leaving Jerusalem and his son Absalom, who was stealing the kingdom from him, was taking over, Shimei started cursing David and throwing rocks at him as the king passed his direction.  King David’s troops wanted to kill the man instantly, but David stopped them and said his own son was after his flesh and blood, let them and curse him.  He then added, “It may be that the Lord will look upon my misery and restore to me his covenant blessings instead of his curse today.”  In other words, let the man curse, God is in control and might use it to restore everything to me.  David knew that God fought his battles and that God was gong to do something.

Application:

Sometimes when people curse us and say all kinds of things against us, it is easy to defend ourselves and fight back, but if we really trust the Lord, we simply say, “Let him curse”, because we know that God is on our side and that He will take care of things.  Full trust in God tells us that people can curse us, talk about us, they to overthrow us, etc. but God will always fight our battles.  Our trust, like David, must never be in ourselves, but in the Lord our God.

Prayer:

Father, help me to trust You every day in this area.  Teach me to follow You and Your ways at all times and to know that You have my back. Help me to have the attitude of David who knew that You would defend him and turn things around when people were trying to overthrow his throne and destroy his character.  Let me always walk with humility and the right attitude.

Yours Always, 

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment