Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Generational Blessing

 Scripture:

”Then he blessed Joseph and said, “May the God before whom my grandfather Abraham and my father, Isaac, walked— the God who has been my shepherd all my life, to this very day,“ ‭‭Genesis‬ ‭48‬:‭15‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Observation:

Jacob, at the end of his life, blessed Joseph by saying, “May the God before whom my grandfather Abraham and my father Isaac, walked - the God who has been my shepherd all my life, to this very day,” Before he spoke the blessing, he reminded Joseph about who he was and his generations. He wanted his son to be blessed by the God of his fathers. Our walk with God was meant to be a generational walk. Joseph knew his identity because his father spoke over him.

Application:

We must learn to think generationally. Knowing who you are gives you identity. Knowing your backstory gives you identity as a person and a history. I wish I had done this better as a father with my sons. As they are now older, it is harder, but I will continue to tell the stories of my father and do my best to give my sons a spiritual heritage of generations.

Prayer:

Father, I want my sons to follow You as my father followed You and as I have followed You. Teach me how to speak and what to do in order to leave a legacy with my children. Help me to know how to tell the stories that give identity to them and cause faith to rise in them. It’s late Lord, but You are able. Help me to do this.

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment