Saturday, July 11, 2020

Joy is our Strength

Scripture:

“Then he said to them, “Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.””
‭‭Nehemiah‬ ‭8:10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Observation:

Nehemiah and Ezra had just read the Law to the people of God who had been away from the LORD and been banished to captivity for 70 years.  When they read the Law, the people wept and mourned because they saw their error.  Nehemiah was smart enough to know that weeping and mourning when confronted with the word of the Lord is good, but that once we repent, joy is what strengthens us.  He told them not to sorrow but to have a party.

Application:

It is important that we remember that it is the joy of the LORD that is our strength.  We don’t get strength from being sorrowful, but from being joyful.  When we are confronted with our own issues, we must repent and turn to the LORD, but then we must not stay there.  We must then move into joy because joy gives us strength.  We must always go back to the place of joy. We must live from a place of joy and not sorrow.

Prayer:

Father, help me to repent when I need to repent and sorrow when I need to sorrow, but also help me to move back to the place of joy because joy is my strength.  Teach me how to return to my place of joy.  Help me to live a joy filled life instead of a solemn life.  Enable me to walk the balance between being sorrowful for things I’ve done and being filled with Your joy.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment