Saturday, May 2, 2009

We Want a King

Scripture:

I Samuel 8:19-20 "But the people refused to listen to Samuel's warning. 'Even so, we still want a king,' they said. 'We want to be like the nations around us. Our king will judge us and lead us into battle'".

Observation:

God wanted to be Israel's king from the beginning. They were meant to be a theocracy where God led the nation, but they continually strayed away from that and longed to be like the other nations. God longed to lead them, but their hearts wanted to be like everyone else. Samuel had told them what it would be like to have a regular king. He shared how bad the situation would be, but they wanted it anyway.

Application:

Will we ever learn? To this day, the same scenario goes on and on. God wants to lead us and guide us into all truth. He wants to be our God and has wonderful plans for our lives, but we always want to be like somebody else. Our fallen nature wants what others have, thinking the grass is greener in the neighbor's lawn. We must come to the place of absolute trust that God's will is better than our own. Absolute dependence on Him is the best and only place to be. Our lives need to be centered on Him and we must choose to do things His way. His way is best and our way will never take us where we need to go.

Prayer:

Lord, let my life be centered on You and Your will. When times are difficult, teach me to trust You. Show me how to be a good follower. I don't want to make my plans, then ask You to bless them. I want to follow Your plans. Help me not to lean on my own understanding, but to follow You voice. I want to trust You more than I do right now. I want Your will for my life!

You are a great father. Help me be a great son.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment