Monday, May 18, 2009

The Reward of Kindness

Scripture:

II Samuel 19:30 "Then Mephibosheth said to the king, 'rather, let him take it all, inasmuch as my lord the king has come back in peace to his own house'".

Observation:

David had shown incredible kindness to Mephibosheth in chapter 9 of II Samuel. He looked for a descendant of Saul and Jonathon he could show kindness to and found Mephibosheth was still alive. Though he didn't have to, David gave him honor and allowed him to eat forever at the king's table. In Chapter 19, Absalom was trying to overthrow his own father and David was in trouble. When the trouble ceased, David comes home and tells Mephibosheth that he wasn't going to give him his inheritance. Mephibosheth said he didn't want the inheritance, he was just glad David was alive and still reigning.

Application:

As I read this, the Lord spoke to my heart and asked this question, "who have you shown such kindness to that they would be willing to give up their inheritance because they appreciate, respect and love you so much?" David showed amazing grace and Mephibosheth was grateful. We, as leaders, should be showing such kindness to people that they are willing to give up everything to be with us. Who respects you to that level?

Prayer:

Lord, let Your light so shine through my life that people want to be around me. Help me demonstrate Your glory everywhere I go. Help me to be so full of Your love and kindness that people see Jesus. I want to live for Your glory Lord.

You are the best!
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment