Tuesday, May 21, 2024

The Power of Sons and Daughters

 Scripture:

“The king was overcome with emotion. He went up to the room over the gateway and burst into tears. And as he went, he cried, “O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you! O Absalom, my son, my son.”” ‭‭2 Samuel‬ ‭18‬:‭33‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Observation:

Absalom had tried deviously to take the throne of his father David, and then even had a massive number of troops seeking him to kill him. David’s men killed Absalom in the battle. When news reached David, her was heartbroken because he loved his son deeply. He said here that he wished he had died instead of his son. The grief of losing a child is powerful. David, though a mighty man of God, was weak when it came to his own children. 

Application:

We all have areas of weakness. Most parents would to anything for their children. I know in my life, my sons hold the ability to break my heart probably more than anyone else. I know when my sons hurt, I hurt. I want to be a great father to my sons and to be an example of Christ to them. I also don’t want to be like an Eli who was too easy on his sons. I need guidance from the Lord on what to say and not to say to my sons. I want to see them doing well and prospering, but I need to know when to speak and when to listen.

Prayer:

Lord, lead me to be a great father for my sons. Though they are grown at this point, they still are a powerful force in my life. I love them both with all my heart and want them to do well. Show me what to say and when to say it. Show me when to be hard and when to be soft. Lead me to be a great father for my sons so they will walk in Your goodness.

Yours,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment