Thursday, December 21, 2023

Fear God

 Scripture:

”In his presence the mountains quake, and the hills melt away; the earth trembles, and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before his fierce anger? Who can survive his burning fury? His rage blazes forth like fire, and the mountains crumble to dust in his presence.“ ‭‭Nahum‬ ‭1‬:‭5‬-‭6‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Observation:

The entire book of Nahum is a rant from God about His plans to destroy Nineveh. Nahum declares that in God’s presence the mountains quake and the hills melt. He says that God’s rage is like fire and the mountains crumble to dust in his presence. Most theologians don’t like to say it, but God gets angry with those who rebel against His ways and refuse to acknowledge Him. His anger is nothing to mess with. Right now we see His great grace and mercy, but His wrath is incredible. 

Application:

I want to live on the side of God’s grace and mercy. I don’t want to see His wrath. I would say I have a healthy fear of God. Some feel like God is so loving and kind that the wrath verses must be thrown out or explained away. I believe God can be loving and just. Powerful and merciful. In my preaching and teaching, and in my life, I need to remember to present the fulness of God. I need to respond to His love, but also be aware of His wrath. I want to live with a healthy fear of God. Some say that fear of the God is more like respect. When I read the OT, I personally am afraid of the God spoken about here.

Prayer:

Father, than You for loving me and blessing my life. Thank You for Your love and mercy. Help me to accurately reflect You to others. Help me to communicate accurately concerning who You are. Teach me, that I may teach others. Take me deeper in You and in understanding You. I want to know You more and more.

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment