Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Trust and Fear

Scripture:

Psalm 56:3-4 "Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God (I will praise His word). In God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me?

Observation:

In all three Psalms we are reading today, the Psalmist is going through a very difficult time and feels his enemies are overwhelming him. He feels totally helpless as these people just won't leave him alone. Today we see his cry to God and his decision to get overcome fear by putting his trust in the Lord.

Application:

It is easy to be controlled by the fear of man. Man loves to manipulate, intimidate and dominate out lives. Sometimes it seems our enemies are more numerous than our friends and we get overwhelmed. This is the situation we find the Psalmist in today. He openly deals with his fear and confesses it. He then makes a decision to overcome this fear of his enemies by putting his trust in the Lord. He doesn't rebuke fear, rather he trusts God! In the end he makes a great statement that will help us as we fight with the fear of man. He says, "What can flesh do to me?" Well, actually flesh can do a lot to us, but God can do so much more. People can hurt us in a million different ways, but God can heal every hurt, every wound and every scar. There is nothing too difficult for Him. Trusting God eliminates fear. The more we trust God, the less man can control and manipulate us. The deeper our relationship with God, the less we fear man so let's grow in our trusting relationship with Him daily.

Prayer:

Lord, it seems You are constantly talking to me about trusting You more and more. Every day "trust" comes into my prayer. I guess You are teaching something I will need in the future. I always thought I trusted You, but You are showing me that I don't fully and completely trust You in every area of my life. Continue to work on me until I "fully and completely" trust You in every area of my life.

I Love You Lord and Trust You More Now than Ever,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment