Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Source of My Joy

Scripture:

Psalm 43:4 "There I will go to the altar of God, to God - the source of all my joy. I will praise You with my harp, O God, my God!"

Observation:

This Psalm starts out saying "defend me from ungodly people... rescue me from these unjust liars". In our verse for the day it tells us that because of these ungodly people and those who lie about us, we have to go to the altar of God - the source of all our joy.

Application:

If we really believe that God is the source of all of our joy, we will start coming to the altar more often. Everyone in this world longs for joy. They look for it in relationships, drugs, alcohol, sex and everywhere else you can think of. Everyone deep down is looking for joy in their lives. Everyone wants to be happy! Nobody wants to live depressed and upset all the time. We all want joy, but look everywhere except where it comes from. The Psalmist says here that God is the source of all our joy. If we really believe that, we would spend more time at his altar and in His presence. He is the only one that can bring true joy. He can turn situations, move mountains, and change anything. Having a relationship with the most powerful force in the universe brings joy. When you realize you have a father who is more powerful than any weapon, any person, or any demon, you can have joy because you know that same powerful God is your father who is looking out for you. He will give you joy in the midst of trouble if you come to His altar and ask Him for it.

Prayer:

Lord, I come to You altar this evening because I need Your joy. I have felt weak lately and I know the joy of the Lord is our strength. I need strength so I ask you for joy. I want to declare your goodness and grace to the multitudes out of absolute joy. I want my preaching and teaching to be joy-filled and to minister out of the overflow of an incredible life with You, a life of joy and peace. Fill me with your joy and let it spill over on everyone I come in contact with.

I Love You Lord,

Jeffrey

No comments:

Post a Comment