Saturday, July 4, 2009

Outstanding Men

Scripture:

Nehemiah 11:6 "There were 468 descendants of Perez who lived in Jerusalem - all outstanding men".

Observation:

Sometimes when we read through lists of people in the Bible, we skim and miss some good nuggets of truth listed. Here in Nehemiah 11, is a simple list of people who had been chosen by casting lots to live in Jerusalem. When it comes to Perez, it says his descendants were all "outstanding men".

Application:

When you have 468 descendants and they are all outstanding men, you have accomplished something great in life. Somehow this guy was blessed with wisdom in raising excellent children, and that wisdom was passed down from generation to generation. Usually, when something like this happens it is because the first generation, or Perez, had a walk with God that was very real. I believe for generations to be blessed like this, there must be a source of an extremely real walk with God. Many can live it in church, and some do good at home most of the time, but the real I'm talking about is the real that makes your children say, "I want to be like you when I grow up". I want my children and my children's children to be "outstanding men" and I realize it only comes from them seeing with their own eyes a REAL man of God who loves God and loves his family.

Prayer:

Lord, I want my children to be "outstanding men" when they grow up. Help me to live a life of discipline and set an example for them of what it means to be a real man of God. Let my light shine to my own children so that they will never want to stray away because the goodness of God and their father is sooo good. Help me to be a man like Perez who raised "outstanding men". Teach me how to interact with my boys. Show me how to communicate with them and how to discipline them so that they end up loving God and being excellent in every area of life.

You're the best,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment