Thursday, July 23, 2009

Gain Understanding

Scripture:

Job 18:2 "How long till you put an end to words? Gain understanding, and afterward we will speak."

Observation:

Job has been complaining about how God has been treating him and Bildad is trying to help him. In the process, he makes a comment that has a lot of wisdom. He tells Job to quit talking, gain understanding, then let's talk.

Application:

Many times we get caught up in saying too much. When things are not going right, we tend to want to tell people off, speak our minds, and let them know what we think. The problem is that our words are powerful. "Death and life are in the power of the tongue". God gave us two ears and one mouth. Maybe we should take a hint and learn that we don't have to speak everything that comes to mind all the time. Wise people are quiet and speak little, but when they speak, it is with authority and always powerful. We need to take Bildad's council and get understanding before we speak too much. Usually if we would wait until we have understanding fully of the situation at hand, we would speak differently. We must train ourselves to count the cost of our words, get understanding before we speak, and then speak purposefully. Bite the tongue when needed.

Prayer:

Lord, our tongues get us in more trouble than any other part of the body. Help me to get understanding prior to speaking. Teach me not to speak too early on a subject, but to refrain until I have all the information and understanding. Forgive me for allowing my tongue to say too much at times. Help me to make my YES, YES and my NO, NO. Help me to count my words and make them count.

Thanks for Speaking to me Today!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment