Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Crucified Life

Scripture:

Galatians 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me".

Observation:

Paul is writing to the Galatians about returning to the Law after being set free through Jesus Christ. In verse 19 he says, "For I through the Law died to the law that I might live to God". He is basically saying that now it is no longer about him because he died with Christ and now lives according through Christ and in Christ. This turns the focus from us being holy to Christ being holy and us living in His holiness. Jesus loves us and gave Himself for us, now we must live the crucified life and allow the power of the resurrection to be at work in us.

Application:

We can't be holy apart from Jesus Christ. We can't obey the Law in our flesh. This entire battle is a spirit battle and must be won in the spirit. The only way for this to happen is death. Paul said we were crucified with Christ. The old man died when we came to Christ. The new man is covered in God's holiness and righteousness that we can't earn or deserve. We must live by faith and stop beating ourselves up every time we mess up a little. We must truly believe that Christ paid the penalty for our sins and that we have resurrected with Him and have power over sin in our lives. We don't have to live as a slave to sin, because we died. We don't have to live as a slave to sin because now it is not about us, but about Christ and what He did. He has victory over sin, therefore I have victory over sin! WOW that's good stuff!

Prayer:

Lord, teach me to live the crucified life. Teach me to die daily to my own thoughts, perspectives and ideas. Help me to walk in the power of the resurrection and walk above the sin that wants to entangle. Make me a man of God who walks not after the flesh but after the Spirit. Help me to live in and through You, to have the mind of Christ in every area of life. Let my thoughts be Your thoughts. Let me see life the way You see it. You are the best!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment