Thursday, December 12, 2019

Requiring Payment for Ministry

Scripture:

“You rulers make decisions based on bribes; you priests teach God’s laws only for a price; you prophets won’t prophesy unless you are paid. Yet all of you claim to depend on the Lord. “No harm can come to us,” you say, “for the Lord is here among us.””
‭‭Micah‬ ‭3:11‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Observation:

Micah speaks very harshly about three groups of people who all say they depend on the Lord, but require payment for ministry.  God speaks out through Micah saying that the rulers were making decisions based on bribes, the priests were teaching for a price and the prophets were only prophesying for payment.  His biggest rebuke was that all three were saying that they depend on the Lord.

Application:

Requiring money for ministry has always rubbed me the wrong way.  I have always felt that ministry should flow out because of a love for the Lord and His people.  I also understand that ministers have mouths to feed and payments to make.  Periodically, the Lord will test me in this and send me somewhere to speak where no payment comes in any form.  He tests my reaction to not receiving anything back.  Sometimes I get a rebuke from the Lord, asking me if I was ministering for money or out of love for Him and His people.  I want my answer to always be right.

Prayer:

Father, help me to keep my eyes on You and You alone.  You are my provider.  You are my rock and my strength.  Help me to minister truly out of love for You and Your people and never to get money.  Keep me pure in this area.  Let my heart always remain pure in this area.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment