Saturday, April 7, 2018

Obedience Brings Victory

joScripture:

Joshua 8:18, 26 "The the Lord said to Joshua, 'Point the spear in your hand toward Ai, for I will hand the town over to you'.  Joshua did as he was commanded... For Joshua kept holding out his spear until everyone who had lived in Ai was completely destroyed."

Observation:

Ai had just defeated Israel when Israel attacked them because Achan had stolen some items that belonged to the Lord.  When that was cleared up, Joshua led them back to Ai, this time ready for battle.  As they approached, the Lord said to Joshua that he should lift his spear toward Ai.  Joshua lifted it and kept holding it out until Ai was destroyed.  He didn't stop his obedience until the job was completely finished.

Application:

Sometimes the weight of carrying the spear can get heavy, but when God speaks to us, we need to fully complete the task we are given.  We don't know if the Lord said to hold it out until the job was finished, it just says he was to hold out his spear.  Joshua then held it out until everything was finished.  He made sure he obeyed the Lord completely.  He finished the task he was given with wholeheartedness.

Prayer:

Father, help me to finish the works you have given me to do.  Help me to be a person who finishes what You start.  Help me not to quit too early, but to finish what You start in my life.  Enable me to lift the spear until You are finished defeating my enemies.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment