Thursday, May 12, 2016

Past Victories Provide for Future Battles

Scripture:

I Samuel 21:9  "The priest replied, 'The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom you killed in the Valley of Elah, is here; it is wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod.  If you want it, take it; there is no sword here but that one'.  David said, 'There is none like it; give it to me'".

Observation:

With God's help, David defeated Goliath, an incredibly huge warrior.  Later, when David was fleeing for his life from King Saul, he needed a sword to protect himself and asked Ahimilek, the priest, if he had one.  The priest said the only one he had was the sword of Goliath.  David's victory over Goliath had now provided for him when we faced a battle of a different kind.

Application:

God has a way of taking our past victories and using them to provide for future battles we must fight.  None of our previous battles are valueless, there is something we can take into our future that was taken from that battle.  Past battles prepare us for future victories.  Just as the sword was a perfect reminder to David of how God had taken care of him, God will take our past struggles and use them to give us confidence to keep on going, knowing He is with us.

Prayer:

Father, help me never forget the victories You have provided in my life.  You have blessed me over and over.  Help me never take You for granted and the way You have provided, sustained, and taken care of me in the past.  You are amazing!  Thanks for reminding me today that You have already provided for my future.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment