Monday, March 25, 2024

Responsibility for My Children

 Scripture:

”“Parents must not be put to death for the sins of their children, nor children for the sins of their parents. Those deserving to die must be put to death for their own crimes.“ ‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭24‬:‭16‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Observation:

This portion of scripture is a listing of many laws and rules the people of Israel were given by God on how to live throughout their generations. In this verse God speaks about parents being responsible for the actions of their children and children for the sins of the parents. He says those deserving punishment should get the punishment and that parents can’t be punished for the sins of their children.

Application:

Many times as parents we feel responsible for what our children do. Often we take responsibility and place ourselves in bondage thinking if we had done a better job raising them, that they wouldn’t be doing what they are doing. I need to be confident that I did the best I could as a parent and that my sons will stand before God for what they do or don’t do. I also don’t want to feel less valued as a parent because my children are not doing what they should. 

Prayer:

Father, help me as a parent not to feel so responsible for my children’s actions. Help me to release them to You knowing that I taught them well and that I won’t stand before You on account of what they do or don’t do. Help me to release feelings of failure when my kids do things I don’t like them doing.

Yours Forever,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment