Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Build an Altar

 Scripture:

“Then come, let us go up to Bethel, where I will build an altar to God, who answered me in the day of my distress and who has been with me wherever I have gone.””  ‭‭Genesis‬ ‭35:3‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Observation:

Jacob had met the Lord at Bethel previously.  Just prior to this Scripture, Jacob’s daughter Dinah had been raped.  Her brothers took revenge and went after those who had done it.  Jacob was upset because he knew the relationships with the surrounding people was destroyed and that they would gang up and come after him and his family.  When he was in trouble, he told his family to get rid of any idols or other gods and go with him to Bethel, which is where he had met the Lord.  In his time of trials, Jacob built and altar to the Lord and he described the Lord as the one who answered him in his time of distress and who had been with him everywhere he went.

Application:

When troubles come, we must put away anything that distracts us from God Almighty and build an altar to Him.  We must come before the Lord humbly.  We also need to remember He is the one who has rescued us in our times of distress in the past and that He has been with us wherever we have gone.  When troubles come, our response must be to run to the Lord and let the Lord fight our battles.

Prayer:

Father, help me to run to You before the battle ever needs to happen.  Teach me to seek You out continually in my life.  I don’t want to have to run to You in trouble because I have walked with You for years.  I want to know You and walk with You.  Open my ears to hear Your voice and open my eyes to see what You are doing around me.  

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment