Monday, January 12, 2015

Purify Yourselves and Build an Altar

Scripture:

Genesis 35:2-3  "So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, 'Put away the foreign gods which are among you, and purify yourselves and change your garments; and let us arise and go up to Bethel, and I will make an altar there to God, who answered me in the day of my distress and has been with me wherever I have gone'".

Observation:

Jacob is now encountering God like his father Isaac and grandfather Abraham.  He knew when God started speaking to him exactly what to do.  God wanted him to build an altar at Bethel, where God had first revealed himself to Jacob.  Jacob knew not to build an altar without also purifying his family.  Prayer and purity go hand in hand.

Application:

During this time of fasting and prayer I continue to be reminded that fasting is about purification of body and spirit.  When you couple purification with prayer, good things happen.  Our continual prayer should be for God to purify us and take out of our lives whatever is not of God.  Couple that with extended times of prayer during this fast and watch what the Lord does.

Prayer:

Father, take out of me everything that is not of You.  Help me to walk in purity and spend more time in prayer.  Separate me for your purposes and help me become the person You want me to be.  You are amazing and I want to serve You well.  Direct my steps and speak to me during this fasting season.

Your Son,
Jeff

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Jeff, this is exactly my motive of fasting and prayer this year. "Put away foreign gods, Purify and change garments before coming closer to God", God spoke to me through this word in a special way today. We sometime unknowingly give importance to things that are not of God and I realized today that those are all foreign gods in my life, which are hindering my spiritual growth. Gen 35:2 showed me how important it is to intentionally put away all those things, before experiencing God's complete presence.

    ReplyDelete