Friday, October 30, 2009

Walking Together

Scripture:

Amos 3:3 "Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?"

Observation:

Amos is conveying a message from the Lord to His people. He is telling them why He has to punish them for their sins and this simple verse is thrown into the mix of what God is saying. They had rebelled against God and His decrees and God pronounces judgment on them. Then He says, "can two people walk together without agreeing on a direction?"

Application:

For two people to walk together, agreement must be present, at least on the direction they are going. Unity bring the commanded blessing of God, but we seldom find it because we can't agree on the direction we want to go. Sometimes walking together is easy because one person is leading and the other is following. Sometimes there is agreement by conversation on which direction to take. Cheryl and I walk together sometimes and usually we don't have an agreed upon route beforehand that we agree on. We begin to walk and watch each other's steps. If I start going in a direction, Cheryl walks with me. When we get to the next intersection, she may begin to turn right and I go with the flow. We don't have a major discussion to bring unity, we simply watch each others movements. Unity comes by watching others and flowing together.

Prayer:

Lord, let me be a peacemaker and a person who brings unity. I want to walk with my family, my church and my community. I want to demonstrate walking together to others who can see it and run with it. If we each hear the voice of the Holy Spirit, and have enough humility to believe we might miss it once in a while, we can walk together. Help me show unity to the world.

Love You,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment