Monday, October 19, 2009

The Love of God

Scripture:

Song of Songs 6:3 "I am my lover's, and my lover is mine. He browses among the lilies".

Observation:

Many scholars compare the love of the man and woman in these verses with the love of God. Personally, I believe it is just Solomon's love of women that comes out here. He had enough wives and concubines to at least know something about sensual love. For our observation, we will look at this verse both ways; as a verse about a husband and wife, and also about our relationship with God.

Application:

"I am my lover's and my lover is mine" is a powerful description of confidence in the marriage relationship. The author was not insecure in this relationship, but very secure, knowing they belonged with each other. Every marriage needs this confidence. Husbands need to know they belong to their wives and their wives belong with them. Wives need to know deeply that they belong with their husbands and their husbands belong with them. Knowing the commitment goes both ways brings confidence in the marriage relationship. It goes the same way since we are called the bride of Christ. As the bride of Christ, our lover must know that we are His and He is ours. There must be a confidence that God loves us and that we love Him.

Prayer:

Lord, I pray for marriages this morning. I pray for a new level of commitment in marriage. I pray that men would know beyond a shadow of a doubt that their wives love them and that their love for their wives will be strong and clear enough to let the wife know that he loves her. I also pray that You would strengthen our relationship with our Lord until the body of Christ knows that they are loved by God and would do a better job letting God know how much we love Him. You are the best! Thanks for loving me, I love You.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment