Friday, October 2, 2009

The Use of Authority

Scripture:

II Corinthians 13:10 "I am writing this to you before I come, hoping that I won't need to deal severely with you when I do come. For I want to use the authority the Lord has given me to strengthen you, not to tear you down".

Observation:

Paul has spent most of this letter to the Corinthians defending his apostleship to them so that they could receive his messages to them. He spends much more time defending himself, his ministry, his actions, etc. than I think was necessary. He writes like someone who has truly been hurt by the church. When he gets near the end of the letter he tells them he is coming and doesn't want to deal severely with them when he gets there. he wants to use his authority to strengthen them instead of to tear them down.

Application:

Paul seems very ready in this letter, to use his authority to deal severely with them if they don't listen to and do what he says. On the other hand, he doesn't really want to do that. he would rather them repent so he can use his authority to bless them and strengthen them. Paul understood authority and knew his own authority. He understood that he had the power to bless or curse and that he could do either. He understood that authority can be used for good or bad. He wanted to use it for good, but would use it otherwise if the situation needed it. Authority must be handled properly or it can really hurt people. The proper use of authority is to win souls, make disciples, and set the church in order. If you are in leadership, don't allow authority to go to your head. Use it wisely and be careful. Use authority with much love and when you don't feel the love, be cautious how you use it.

Prayer:

Lord, I understand the power of authority and the position You have put me in by calling me to lead people. Help me to never use my authority to hurt people, rather to bless and strengthen them. Help me to be a good representative of you and your kingdom here on this earth. I understand very clearly what Paul was feeling as he was writing this letter, but I want to respond in ways that please you totally. I want to hear you say, "well done good and faithful servant".

Love,
Jeff

PS: Are you coming back soon? It sure seems like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment