Monday, March 11, 2013

Wealth Doesn't Go With You

Scripture:

Psalm 49:16-17 "So don't be dismayed when the wicked grow rich and their homes become ever more splendid.  For when they die, they take nothing with them.  Their wealth will not follow them into the grave".

Observation:

The Psalmist speaks here of being envious of those who are rich in this world, yet not rich in God.  He tells us not to be upset when they get richer and richer because when they die, none of it can go with them into eternity with them. 

Application:

Sometimes, living in one of the wealthiest counties in America is not easy.  It's very easy to look around and think, "why are these people who don't love God being blessed, and we are struggling for all these years here?"  It is hard not to let jealousy and envy into my heart and I need a wake up call once in a while to show me what is really important and where and how I will spend eternity.  When our eyes are fixed on eternity, the things that concern us here on this earth come into proper view.  Nothing we gain in this life will follow us into the grave.  It is simply temporary stuff that will burn up one day anyway.

Prayer:

Lord, help me not to be jealous of those who are not pursuing You.  Help me to keep my eyes fixed on You and Your purposes for my life.  Show me each day what I need to do.  I want to live for eternity, yet your blessing here on earth would be nice as well.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment