Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Partial Obedience Equals Rebellion

Scripture:

I Samuel 15:23 "Rebellion is as sinful as witchcraft, and stubbornness as bad as worshipping idols. So because you have rejected the command of the Lord, he has rejected you as king".

Observation:

God had spoken to Saul and told him to totally destroy the Amalakites. He was to kill every living thing and every living person among them. He had the opportunity, but decided to bring the King back and to bring back the best of the cattle so he could sacrifice them to the Lord. This was simply not God's instruction. He partially obeyed and God was not happy. God spoke of this partial obedience as rebellion and stubbornness. Saul was rejected from being king because he partially obeyed the Lord. He even had good intentions about what he was going to do with the cattle. He was going to offer it all to the Lord, but this was not what God had told him to do.

Application:

We tend to look at partial obedience as giving something a good try. If we do part of what God told us to do we feel like at least we tried. We feel good about ourselves for trying to do what God asks us. We need to realize that God sees partial obedience as rebellion and stubbornness. What we feel good about, God is not impressed with. He is impressed with total obedience! We must stop feeling good about our wimpy attempts to obey God and do all that He has told us to do, then we will see the blessing of God in our lives. What we see as a good try, God sees as rebellion! We must get this through our heads and into our hearts. Complete obedience is what he wants from us.

Prayer:

Lord, forgive me for the undone things You have asked me to do. Forgive me for partially obeying the things I know You have called me to do. Forgive me for feeling like a partial try and a simple attempt at something is doing what you have spoken. Help me to obey You fully and completely. I want to hear the words, "Well done good and faithful servant" when I see you face to face. Help me to get there.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment