Thursday, June 3, 2010

Never Give Up!

Scripture:

Joshua 14:12 "So give me the hill country that the Lord promised me. You will remember that as scouts we found the descendants of Anak living there in great walled towns. But if the Lord is with me, I will drive them out of the land, just as the Lord said".

Observation:

Caleb is asking for the land the Lord promised him 45 years earlier. At 85, he is asking for his land, which evidently still had giants living in it. The sons of Anak were giants. There were walled cities to conquer and he says, "If the Lord is with me, I will drive them out of the land, just as the Lord said". His faith was so great that at 85, 45 years after the promise, he realized that what God promises, He provides.

Application:

Many times in life we give up far too early. We stand on the promises of God for a little while, then figure it must not be meant for me. The word tell us very clearly that we must not grow weary in doing good. "In due season, we will reap". God sometimes promises us things that are in the distant future. We think it should happen today or tomorrow or we are giving up. We must learn to hold onto the promises of God and not rush things, nor get ahead of God.

Prayer:

Lord, thanks for reminding me today that Your promises never fail, we simply give up on them too early. Give me the heart of a Caleb, who I learned this week was probably not even an Israelite. Teach me to never give up on things too early, but to wait for the promise of God and still be ready to fight for it years later. With faith and patience we inherit the promises. Help me on the patience part.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment