Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Fortress and My Rock

Scripture:

Psalm 95:22 "But the Lord has become my fortress, and my God the rock in whom I take refuge".

Observation:

The Psalmist has once again been asking the Lord why He doesn't punish the wicked and why they get away with so much wrong doing. Throughout the Psalm I see this pattern; a Psalmist will speak out his complaints and ask God questions, then turn around and declare his trust in the Lord and his knowing that God will judge in the end. Here he calls the Lord his fortress and his rock.

Application:

When I think about a fortress, it brings to my mind a place that is safe from every enemy. It has big walls to keep the enemies out and to protect the people inside. God is our fortress. He is strong and protects us from our enemies. He is a safe place to run when you are in trouble. He is also a rock. When I think about a rock it brings a picture of something solid that will support you when you step on it. When you walk through a creek, you step on the rocks to keep you from slipping. Rocks are a symbol of strength throughout history. A rock is something that is a strong foundation you can trust. When you build a house, you want it to be on a rock. The Lord wants to be our fortress where we can hide and our rock we can depend on and trust in.

Prayer:

Teach me Lord to trust You more. You are my rock and my fortress. I run to You this morning with all the weights and cares of life and ministry and I place them at Your feet. I come to my fortress for shelter this morning, let me hide in You. I come to my rock this morning. Let me stand strong on Your foundation. Let me not be moved in any situation from complete trust in You. I love you Lord!

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment