Monday, September 28, 2009

Rely on God

Scripture:

II Corinthians 1:9 "In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely on God, who raises the dead".

Observation:

If anyone could rely on himself it would be the Apostle Paul. He had an incredible education. He had a personal encounter with Jesus Christ. He was at one point caught away into the third heaven. This guy had seen it all! In this chapter he was explaining to the Corinthians why his travel plans had been messed up. As part of that he says he thought he was going to die, but as a result stopped relying on himself, but began to rely on God who raises the dead.

Application:

We are a generation that feels like we can help ourselves and educate ourselves out of anything. It is only in extreme emergencies that we even call out to God. At that point, we realize we can't fix whatever is going on and we need God to intervene. We have become accustomed to relying on ourselves for everything and only relying on God in emergency situations. I know God is speaking to me this morning about trusting Him and relying on Him instead of my own ideas, plans and strategies. If He truly raises the dead, then I can rely on Him for everything else, including the simple things.

Prayer:

Lord, I hear You speaking to me and I want to rely on You more. Teach me how to do this more every day. I want to fulfill Your will so bad that I tend to work myself to the bone trying to accomplish Your will for my life, my church and my community, yet it doesn't appear to be accomplishing as much as I would like it to. Teach me to rely on You more and me less. I need you to intervene in my life right now. You are what I live for and I have committed my everything to You. Help me now and show yourself strong in my life.

I Love You,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment