Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fixing Your Gaze

Scripture:

II Corinthians 4:18 "So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things which we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever".

Observation:

Paul went through many trials and tribulations as he ministered the gospel of Jesus Christ. He endured afflictions from without and within. In this verse, he is sharing what he did to keep the right attitude in difficult times. He fixed his gaze on things that cannot be seen instead of looking deeply at where he was at the time.

Application:

What are you focused on? What we are focused on will generally determine how well we do in adversity. When you are going through a difficult time, if you choose to focus on the problem, you will get depressed, anxious, and worried. The other alternative is to focus on the eternal. If we focus on the eternal it will help us endure the present. If we can remain with our gaze fixed on eternity, life has a totally different perspective. If you are focused on eternity, your current afflictions seems much less powerful. If you focus on eternity and live with eternity in your heart, the current trials are much less destructive. We tend to focus on what is going on in our lives right now, Paul focused on what would be happening in eternity. I want to live a life focused on hearing the Lord say, "well done thou good and faithful servant".

Prayer:

Lord, keep my perspective right. I want to serve You and not get sidetracked by the hurts that ministry often brings. I want to keep eternity focused so that I don't get sidetracked by current difficulties. Help me to fix my gaze on You and how I will spend eternity. You are amazing! Help me to walk in this life so that my life points others to eternity as well. I give you my current problems and ask for you to deliver me, but this morning I am thankful that I know my account in heaven is full.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment