Thursday, September 24, 2009

I Discipline My Body

Scripture:

I Corinthians 9:27 "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified".

Observation:

In this passage, Paul speaks of disciplining his body and bringing it into subjection. In the context he is talking about winning a race and preparing for it. We are to run the race to win, which means disciplining our bodies and controlling them instead of our bodies controlling us. Our spirit is meant to be in charge, not our body, yet most of us allow our bodies to control us.

Application:

We all look up to great athletes and admire their discipline and understand that they can compete the way they can because they have paid a price we were not willing to pay. They get paid the big bucks because of their discipline. None of us likes discipline and bringing our bodies under subjection, but we should also remember that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. It is time for me to bring my body and my appetite under subjection. God wants us to be in control of our bodies and not for our bodies to control us.

Prayer:

Lord, I hear You speaking to me through this today. I know I need to discipline my body, eat better, get exercise and get some rest. It seems there is never time to do what I know I need to do. I admire those who have control over their lives and use their time wisely. Those who put up good boundaries to keep their lives in balance are way ahead of the game. I haven't been feeling very good lately and I know you are speaking to me to get back to good eating and exercise. Help me to discipline my body. I want to last a long time building Your kingdom. I need you to help me with disciplining my body.

I love you Lord,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment