Monday, September 14, 2015

Training for Godliness

Scripture:

I Timothy 4:8  "Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come".

Observation:

Paul is telling Timothy, his son in the faith, that physical training has good benefits.  He doesn't say that physical training is wrong or bad.  He believes it is good, but that training for godliness is better.  Godliness gives benefits in this life and in the life to come.

Application:

Going to the gym and working out is great and will make this life on earth more pleasurable because you will feel better.  It is good to work out.  It is simply better, to work out spiritually because that works for this life and for the next life.  Physical exercise produces immediate results, spiritual exercise produces eternal results.  I want to see eternal results.  Time to dig deep and train in God's word and prayer.

Prayer:

Father, help me to train for godliness.  Help me mature and develop into a man of God who is well-trained like a professional athlete.  Give me the discipline I need to grow stronger in my walk with You.  I want to know You more and walk closer with You.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment