Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Danger of Self-sufficiency

Scripture:

Isaiah 17:10  "Why?  Because you have turned from the God who can save you.  You have forgotten the Rock who can hide you.  So you can plant the finest grapevines and import the most expensive seedlings".

Observation:

God was talking about Israel becoming desolate and unfruitful.  He compared their future to a field that had just been harvested... Barren.  His reason is shown clearly in this verse, "because you have turned from the God who can save you".  He later tells them that they are importing the most expensive seedlings and planting the finest grapevines, yet they will be unprofitable because they are doing it without God.

Application:

There is wisdom to importing the best seedlings and planting the finest grapevines, so why would God have a problem with that?  Simply put, self-sufficiency.  God wants us to rely on Him and when we do, He will bless us and take amazing care of us.  When we lean on our own understanding and do things our own way, we are telling Him we don't need Him any more.  God truly wants His people to rely on Him instead of simply relying on our own thoughts and wisdom.

Prayer:

Father, let me do things Your way and not only the way I think things should be done.  Let me fulfill Your will in my life and do what You want me to do instead of simply living out of what makes sense to me.  Teach me to rely on You instead of making decisions based on what I think.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment