Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pay them back with a blessing

Scripture:

I Peter 3:9 "Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it".

Observation:

Peter strongly encourages us not to fight back like the rest of the world does. He tells us to be more like Christ who went as a lamb to the slaughter, not saying a word. Jesus made very similar statements in the Sermon on the Mount. We are taught today to fight for your rights, fight back when you are done wrong, and make the wrongs right. Scripture tells us to be like Christ who paid them back with a blessing.

Application:

This is not easy to apply to life because it is so against the natural man. When we are done wrong, we naturally want to fight back and right the wrongs. Peter and Jesus tell us to pay them back with a blessing. We must learn to respond how Christ would respond in every situation so that the world can see that we are different from them. We are told that God would bless us for it and God's blessing is worth a little humility. I want God's blessing instead of getting back at those who hurt me.

Prayer:

Lord, Make me more like Jesus today. Help me to respond the way Christ would in every situation I find myself in.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment