Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Heart of a Prophet

Scripture:

Isaiah 24:16 "We hear songs of praise from the ends of the earth, songs that give glory to the Righteous One! But my heart is heavy with grief. Weep for me, for I wither away. Deceit still prevails, and treachery is everywhere".

Observation:

Isaiah prophesies disaster on the earth and how terrible it will be in the day of God's judgment. He then inserts this brief interlude that gives a little hope for the people of the earth. He hears songs giving glory to God from the ends of the earth and seems excited about it, then ends with heaviness because deceit still prevails and treachery is everywhere. The heart of a prophet cries out to a people to get right with God. Isaiah is broken hearted for the people of God. His heart breaks because they are living in sin.

Application:

As Isaiah's heart was broken within him because of the people's sin, so our heart must break for those around us that don't know Christ and are facing judgment. As a pastor I get excited when I see God's people praising and worshiping Him. It thrills me! At the same time, I am broken when I look at the spiritual condition of America and the nations of the world. I am excited that some good things are happening, yet broken that more people are not coming to Christ and living for Him. I am broken because even of those who know Him, many are not truly serving and following Him.

Prayer:

Lord, thank You for being a place I can run to. You are amazing and I appreciate You so much. Thank You for Isaiah and all He is speaking to me. Help me keep the balance in my life of being excited because people are being saved and yet broken because many are not. Help me keep my heart on the harvest and my eyes on You.

Sincerely,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment