Monday, August 30, 2010

First Fruits

Scripture:

Nehemiah 10:35 "We promise to bring the first part of every harvest to the Lord's Temple year after year - whether it be a crop from the soil or from our fruit trees".

Observation:

The people had seen the hand of God in the re-building of the wall of Jerusalem and they had heard the Law read by Ezra. Now it was their turn. Would they commit to it or would they not? This verse is one of many here where the people are making a commitment and promise to God. They want to do what God has asked of them. God asks for the first of everything in the Old Testament. He wanted the first of the fruit, the vegetables, the wine, the sheep, etc. God has always wanted to be first in the lives of his people.

Application:

God's word is very clear about how much He loves us. He gave all for us to become His children. What does He want in return? He wants to be first in our lives. He wants no other gods or idols in our lives. He wants us to love Him with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, then for us to love our neighbor as ourselves. He wants us to place Him at the top of the list instead of just making a little room for Him if it is convenient on Sunday. We must come back to our first love and serve God with gladness. We must surrender all and lay down our own pursuits to follow his voice. He wants to be number one in our lives.

Prayer:

Lord, help me re-align my life to have You above all else. I want You in Your rightful place, at the top and center of my life. I want to live the life You have planned for me and not pursue my own agenda and plans. I surrender to You this morning. Be first in my life! I love You and want to offer myself as firstfruits for Your pleasure and glory.

Your Son,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment