Friday, August 6, 2010

Building a Dynasty

Scripture:

I Chronicles 18:17 "Beniah son of Jehoiada was captain of the King's bodyguard. And David's sons served as the king's chief assistants".

Observation:

As the amazing story is being told about David and his incredible reign, there is one little part of a verse that is very interesting. David's sons served as his chief assistants. David evidently had a strong relationship with his sons. He was a great father who raised his children to follow the Lord, but the "how" is so important. He made his sons his chief assistants. They helped their dad do whatever he had to do. They didn't serve somewhere else in the palace, they served right alongside their dad.

Application:

Building a dynasty doesn't happen overnight, nor does it happen by accident. it is intentional. David understood that time with his sons and personally teaching them would reap great rewards. He had been promised that his family would rule and reign in Israel and he was preparing his sons to rule. He prepared them, not by giving them big jobs, but by serving. He taught them to assist before throwing them into larger leadership positions. Being dad's chief assistant meant being with dad much more than most. Being with your father is crucial to your development as a man.

Prayer:

Lord, thank you for speaking to me this morning. Help me be a great father for Joshua and Jordan. Help me to raise them right and train them to be all you want them to be. Let them see my life and want to serve with me. Help me be an example for them of what a Godly man really is. Let my sons become great in Your kingdom and help me make the right investment in them to make it happen.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment