Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Father's Instruction

Scripture:

I Chronicles 28:9 "And Solomon, my son, learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately. Worship and serve him with your whole heart and a willing mind. For the Lord sees every heart and knows every plan and thought. If you seek him, you will find him. But if you forsake him, he will reject you forever".

Observation:

David is instructing his son Solomon. He is preparing Solomon to reign as king. As he is giving him advice about building the Temple and appointing leaders, etc. he takes this opportunity to remind his son about the importance of knowing God. he tell Solomon to learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately. He says to worship and serve him with all his heart and mind. As he is preparing his son to reign, he is telling him who is really in charge. He is really telling his son that the most important thing in his life isn't the kingdom, but his relationship with God.

Application:

Fathers tend to train their sons in many areas. We love to train them in sports and working on cars and outdoors stuff, but how often do we really demonstrate to our children the importance of putting God first in everything we do. I want to leave my sons a legacy of a life well lived for my King, but I also want them to follow. We must encourage the next generation to know the god of their fathers.

Prayer:

Father, help me today to instruct my sons in the ways of God. Help me raise my boys and train them to call on You and to worship and serve you with all their heart, soul and mind. Help me be an example to them that they can follow. I want to be as real example of a man of God to my sons. Let them know you intimately.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment