Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Succession

Scripture:

Numbers 27:18-19 "Take Joshua son of Nun, who has the Spirit in him, and lay your hands on him. Present him to Eleazar the priest before the whole community, and publicly commission him to lead the people".

Observation:

Moses is nearing the end of his life and he speaks to the Lord. He asks the Lord to appoint a leader to lead the people so they will not be like sheep without a shepherd. The Lord tells him to take Joshua, who has the Spirit in him and lay hands on him publicly showing the transfer of anointing for the job ahead of him. This owuld let the people know that God had selected Joshua to lead them. Moses, a real leader of leaders, wanted to make sure their was a successor who could take the people into the promised land.

Application:

It is said that there is no success without a successor. Joshua had served under Moses for many many years. Now it was his time to rise up and lead Israel. He was with Moses in the wilderness. He was there through the good times and the bad times. He had been faithful in supporting his leader and now it was his time to lead. Moses saw the need to have someone ready to lead Israel. He knew they would not succeed unless they had a leader who knew how to hear from God. Real success is not just leading people, but raising leaders who can be trusted to lead. A leader must see the long term and prepare for the future. Moses was looking at the future and preparing God's people for his departure.

Prayer:

Lord, teach me to be a leader of leaders. I want to understand how to be a better leader. Teach me how to truly build leaders. Show me how to best train people and place them into the body that the body may be strong. Lord, I need your help to guide me into being a strong leader. I ask you to show me step by step and day by day. I want to be a developer of people for your kingdom. Show me the way forward.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment