Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Joshua's Pre-inauguration

Scripture:

Deuteronomy 31:23 "Then the Lord commissioned Joshua son of Nun with these words: 'Be strong and courageous, for you must bring the people of Israel into the land I swore to give them. I will be with you'".

Observation:

This sounds like a job anyone would like to accept. You are going to lead God's people into the promised land and God is going to be with you. The rest of the story helps us understand why Joshua would need to know the Lord was going to be with him. The next chapter in this text tells us that the people of Israel are going to rebel in the promise land and that God's judgment was going to come on them. It tells us that they are going to walk away from the Lord to follow other gods. In his pre-inauguration invitation, he is told to lead God's people, but that they would not follow and He would judge them for it.

Application:

When we give ourselves to God and ask Him to be in control of our lives, we have no rights any more. Our will must be to do the will of Him who died for us. Joshua wasn't given a job description, then told to choose whether he wanted the job or not. He was told he was taking over and that the people under his leadership were going to rebel. He is even told that God's judgment was going to come on them. He accepted a job description that anyone logically thinking would have run away from. I'm sure his wife was saying, "you don't have to take this position". He did it because it was God's will for his life, knowing it was going to be a very difficult thing.

Prayer:

Lord, teach me to say yes to You under all circumstances. Help me to accept Your will for my life instead of my own. The words "I will be with you" at the end of the verse today make it all worthwhile. Thank you for confirming with me that your presence will be with me as I continue to follow Your will for my life. Sometimes life is tough and I need your presence to be real to me in those times. Give me the heart of a Joshua who would accept a job description that nobody would want because it was Your will.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment