Monday, February 13, 2017

What Defiles a Person?

Scripture:

Mark 7:15  "There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of the person are what defile him".

Observation:

When Jesus was speaking with the Scribes and Pharisees, they asked him why his disciples didn't wash their hands according to Jewish tradition.  They were upset because Jesus' people were not obeying their laws and doing things their way.  Jesus replied to them that nothing going into a person can defile them, but what comes out is what defiles.

Application:

Jesus took it right to the heart of the matter.  He is much more concerned with what comes out of us because what comes out of us is what is really in our hearts.  Our words, actions, and thoughts are what defile us more than anything we eat or drink.  It is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.  We need to be concerned when we have bad thoughts, words or actions coming from us because it is revealing our hearts.

Prayer:

Lord God, purify my heart today and let rivers of living water flow out instead of junk from inside my heart.  Let my heart be clean so that You can flow purely through my life.  Cleanse me inside.  Let there be no bitterness in my heart.  Let nothing come from me that is not right with You.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment