Monday, December 21, 2015

The God Who Cares and Crushes

Scripture:

Nahum 1:7-8  "The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble.  He cares for those who trust in him, but with an overwhelming flood he will make an end of Nineveh; he will pursue his foes into the realm of darkness".

Observation:

Nahum shows us both sides of our Lord in one statement.  He shows us the loving compassion of the Lord; He is a god who loves us, is a refuge for us, and who cares for us.  At the same time he is a just God who won't put up with those who are opposed to Him.  He is good to those who are His, but He will judge those who are not.

Application:

Some people really struggle to understand how a loving god can send people to hell or allow bad things to happen in the world.  He will go to the ends of the earth to help those who love Him, but He will also bring trouble on those who refuse to follow him.  His love made a way for us to have an incredible relationship with Him, yet His justice will bring punishment on his enemies.  As a dad and husband I understand this.  I love my wife and sons and will go overboard to bless them, but if someone speaks bad about them, I will not be very kind in my response.

Prayer:

Father, You are amazing to me!  You have taken incredible care of me through the years and I am grateful.  One day every enemy of Yours will be defeated and You will reign over all.  Thank you for being my refuge and caring for me.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment