Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Love of a Father

Scripture:

II Samuel 18:33 "The king was deeply moved and went up to the chamber over the gate and wept.  And thus he said as he walked, 'O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom!  Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!'"

Observation:

In this text I see the love of a father for his son.  Absalom had taken the kingdom from David and was out seeking his life.  David's men defeated Absalom's men and one of the ended up killing Absalom, which they thought should make David happy because his enemy was dead.  David was distraught instead of happy.  He wanted his son to live and not die.  Though his son betrayed him, he still wanted only good for him.

Application:

You can't get away from the love of a father.  We have a heavenly Father who loves us deeply and completely.  Though we mess up at times and decide to take things into our own hands and do what we want instead of serving Him well, He stills loves us and grieves over us when we separate ourselves from Him.  God's love for us is stronger than the love that David had for Absalom and we can rest assured of that.  He loves us, even when we walk away from Him.

Prayer:

Lord God Almighty, help me to understand Your love more and more.  Teach me Your ways and let me walk with You intimately.  Your love for us is amazing and truly amazing.  Help me not to take that love for granted, but to let it move me to greater service in Your Kingdom.  You are worthy of my all!

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment