Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Grace and Mercy

Scripture:

II Sam. 19:28 "All my relatives and I could expect only death from you, my Lord, but instead you have honored me by allowing me to eat at your own table! What more can I ask?"

Observation:

David had made a promise to Jonathon that he would show mercy on his descendants. In honor of that commitment, David showed mercy to Mephibosheth, Jonathon's son. He chose to have crippled Mephibosheth stay in his own house and eat at his own table. Normally kings would have killed all the descendant of the previous king so that there wouldn't be any uprisings from the family, but David showed great love and mercy.

Application:

Just as David showed mercy to Mephibosheth, Jesus has done the same for us. We don't deserve His love and grace, but He gives it anyway. We are part of a lineage of sinners, yet he loves us and demonstrated that by giving His life for us. We deserve punishment, but God continues to pour out His love and acceptance. As Mephibosheth said, "What more can I ask?" What more can we ask for? Our heavenly father has blessed us with undeserved grace and mercy, we should honor him with our lives.

Prayer:

Father, thank you for your grace and mercy in my life. I know I have messed things up more than a few times, yet you continue to love me and show me mercy and grace. I was born into a lineage that deserves judgment, but you give grace. You are amazing, help me to love like you love. help me to forgive like you forgive. Teach me to be more like you.

Yours,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment