Monday, July 12, 2010

David's Response to Absalom's Actions

Scripture:

II Samuel 18:5 "And the king gave this command to Joab, Abishai, and Ittai: 'For my sake, deal gently with young Absalom.' And all the troops heard the king give this order to his commanders".

Observation:

Absalom, King David's own son, had terribly insulted his father. He was trying to kill him so that he could take over the kingdom. He had gathered an army together to destroy David and his men. David's men, knowing they are about to be attacked are discussing their battle plan and David tells them to deal gently, don't kill, Absalom. David was called a man after God's own heart for many reasons and this is one of them. The bottom line is that he trusted God to take care of his enemies. Many times we have seen that David had opportunities to kill those who were chasing him, but he felt his life belonged to the Lord and God was in control so he didn't respond, but let the Lord fight his battles.

Application:

Sometimes we are so quick to defend ourselves from attacks that come at us instead of knowing we are walking with the Lord and allowing Him to fight our battles. What if we decided to let the Lord defend us instead of defending ourselves? What if we lose many battles we could have won because we took things into our own hands because we were hurt? I believe, when we are being falsely accused, we need to seek the face of God and not revenge on those who are coming against us. This sounds like David's battle plan and it sounds like Jesus battle plan.

Prayer:

Lord, here I am again talking to You about trust. I want to trust you to totally take care of me, including dealing with those who arise against me. I want to know that you will fight my battles and take care of me when it feels like everyone is against me. Help me always have the mind and attitude of my Savior who loves His enemies and does good to those who spitefully use Him.

Your Son,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment